[cabfpub] Revisiting CAA

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Fri May 2 09:24:05 MST 2014

I would agree with Kirk if OV were used everywhere.  However, considering
how many requests for verification I receive from competitors for approval
of a DV cert, a domain holder can easily unintentionally authorize a
certificate, not realizing it is an attacker.  Use of CAA acts as an
authorization limiter to, hopefully, reduce the number of fake domain
verification requests a domain holder receives and reduce the likelihood of
an unintentional issuance.

Considering there isn't a revocation reason code for "accidentally approved
an attacker", I don't think you can find this information directly.
However, considering the size of certain CRLs, I don't think it's illogical
to conclude this probably happens.

Jeremy