[cabfpub] Ballot 117 - EV Code Signing Guidelines Corrections

Eddy Nigg eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Sat Mar 22 18:42:12 UTC 2014

On 03/21/2014 04:40 PM, Rob Stradling wrote:
> Comodo votes "no".
>
> Comodo strongly supports the concept of EV Code Signing, and would very
> much like to see wider implementation and participation.  However, as
> far as we are aware, EV Code Signing has been implemented by only a
> single vendor with only two CA participants in that vendor's program.
> Therefore, as Section 1.2 of the Bylaws of the CA/B Forum states that
> the purpose of the Forum is to meet and discuss matters of common
> interest, we do not believe the EV Code Signing Guidelines to be a
> matter of common interest for the Forum at this time.  Specifically,
> absent wider implementation and participation in the use of this
> standard, additional work now by the CA/B Forum on this topic will be in
> contravention of Section 1.2 of the Bylaws.
>
> Moreover, Section 1.3 of the Bylaws of the CA/B Forum states that Forum
> Members shall not use their participation in the Forum either to promote
> their own products and offerings or to restrict or impede the products
> and offerings of other Members.

Maybe this is the wrong stage, however there is something into this and
me thinks too that something is wrong with the requirements (otherwise
StartCom and probably others would support it). However I suggest to
take this as a starting point for possible correction of the guidelines
that would allow wider support and/or fixing whatever needs to get fixed.

The ballot itself is obviously non-controversial as is and probably the
wrong venue for above discussion.

--
Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO