[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot 125 - CAA Records

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Fri Jun 27 19:00:13 UTC 2014

Hi Doug,

I'm trying to understand a bit of the concern as well. I don't see the
proposed amendment as requiring that a CA support CAA, merely setting forth
what "CAA support" would look like. That is, a CA's procedures for CAA
records (2.i) might be "The records are ignored"

For "CAA support" to be meaningful, we at least need a common set of
policies related to what it means to "check CAA", much in the same way we
have policies established related to the validation of domain information
or identity verification.

The ballot, as proposed, still allows CAs to say that they're ignored, but
merely establishes a consistent criteria for what it means to
ignore/support CAA.

For example, we wouldn't want to see a certificate with 3 domain names,
where CAA is only checked for the first domain name. That provides little
assurances for subscribers wishing to employ CAA.