[cabfpub] Question regarding Business Entity subjects

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Tue Jul 1 00:00:31 UTC 2014

I haven't done a close reading of the EVGL on this, but if we are going to allow unincorporated entities like partnerships, labor unions, and associations get EV as Business Entities, I think a licensed professional should too.  In the US, a (general) partnership is not a legal entity per se - it has no separate corporate standing, but is a contractual relationship among individuals.  [I'm sure no general partnership has ever applied for EV status, but if it did I think we'd ask to see a redacted copy of the Partnership Agreement along with maybe a certification from a Partner that the Agreement is real and in force.]

So for licensed professionals, I think a mandatory license filed with a government registry is the functional equivalent of a corporation's registration with an agency.  For and sole proprietors - tougher questions, but if they have files for a business license in their appropriate jurisdiction (something a sole proprietor is legally required to do where I live in the City of Portland, Oregon) and the CA can find and confirm that, I'd think that was as good as the corporate registration.