[cabfpub] Draft Bylaw 5.3 change re creation of Working Groups

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Tue Jul 1 18:08:48 UTC 2014

On Jul 1, 2014 11:02 AM, "kirk_hall at trendmicro.com" <
kirk_hall at trendmicro.com> wrote:

> We had a discussion at our last meeting about the possible need to change
Bylaws 5.3 in two ways (1) to eliminate the need for a formal Ballot to
create a Working Group that may include Forum Members and other Interested
Parties from outside the membership, but to allow formation of Working
Groups through a simpler method, and (2) to clarify that temporary Member
committees can be appointed by the Chair at any time to complete research,
analysis, and drafting of proposals for the membership that don’t rise to
the level of a Working Group (and to follow our current practices on such
matters).  I agreed to present a draft.

Why does the Forum need to consider (2) at all? That seems something that
can be accomplished without any special action - no need for member
committees.

I am unsure why (1) is needed as well. Can you point to an example where
something was blocked or inhibited based on the present practice?

On the other hand, its clear that some members in the WG have interests
towards expanding the scope and role of the forum from beyond CAs and
Browsers, and that's something we have expresses serious concern regarding
in the past.

We have also seen WGs that are effectively the same as existing root
program management, such as the Code Signing WG. Several CAs have expressed
concerns regarding this WG and its operation, so I think we do have
examples of things not working desirably.

For the sake of the public discussion, could you explain a bit more of the
motivations for the draft.

> The attached draft amends Bylaw 5.3 to allow Working Groups to be
appointed on concurrence of the Chair and Vice Chair together, but only
after consultation on the Public list and discussion at at least one
meeting or teleconference of the Members.  If there is specific objection
by at least five Members, the discussion must continue for at least another
30 days, but at the conclusion the decision of whether or not to create the
Working Group is up to the Chair and Vice Chair by joint agreement.  The
amendments also clarify that informal temporary committees of Members can
continue to be created to work on matters being discussed by the Forum that
don’t rise to the level of a Working Group (e.g., ideas for consideration,
final ballot language, etc.).

> See below and attached.
>

> I welcome all comments and proposed edits.
>

> Kirk R. Hall
>
> Operations Director, Trust Services
>
> Trend Micro
>
> +1.503.753.3088
>

> Bylaw 5.3     Working Groups
>

> Members may propose by ballot the appointment of Working Groups open to
participation by Members and Interested Parties with details outlining The
ballot shall outline the scope of the Working Group’s activities, including
deliverables, any limitations, and Working Group expiration date. Upon
approval of the Working Group draft proposal by the Chair and Vice Chair,
the proposal will be published to the public list for discussion for at
least one week, and will be discussed by the Members during at least one
teleconference or face to face meeting, or for such longer discussion
period as the Chair may determine.  If the Chair and Vice Chair believe
there is substantial consensus supporting creation of the Working Group,
they may announce its creation with such changes to its scope,
deliverables, limitations, and expiration date as they may choose based on
the prior proposal discussion.  If five or more Members specifically object
to the formation of the proposed Working Group, discussion on the matter
will continue for at least one additional 30 day period, after which time
the Chair and Vice Chair may create the proposed Working Group in the
manner described in the previous sentence, or may choose not to create the
proposed Working Group.  If a Working Group is created, the Chair will call
for a show of interest in participation by Members, and shall appoint a
Working Group Chair from among the interested Members.

> Upon creation of a Working Group, the Forum will post an invitation to
all Interested Parties to participate, and will solicit others with
expertise and interest in the Working Group subject matter to become
Interested Parties and participate in the Working Group.  With the approval
of the Chair, Working Groups may establish separate list-servs, wikis, and
web pages for their communications, but all such separate list-servs must
be managed in the same fashion as the Public Mail List. Working Groups may
meet by teleconference or face-to-face meetings upon approval by the Chair
and the Working Group Chair, but the Forum shall not be responsible for the
expenses of any such teleconferences or meetings.

> Working Groups may draft recommendations to be forwarded to the Forum for
its consideration, but no recommendations will be considered the product of
the Working Group unless approved by two-thirds of all Working Group
members who vote on the recommendations. All substantial initial and final
drafts of the Working Group product will be posted on the Public Mail List.

> The Forum shall review the final recommendations from a Working Groups
and may approve and implement some or all of the recommendations as
appropriate in the Forum’s judgment following the Forum’s regular voting
rules. The Forum shall retain the right to amend a Working Group
recommendation before approval, but in most cases should first return the
proposed amended recommendation to the Working Group for its review and
response before voting.

> The Forum shall not be required to submit any matter to a Working Group,
but may itself draft requirements and guidelines without a Working Group in
its discretion.

> This section shall not apply to the creation of informal temporary
committees of the Forum Members, which may be appointed by the Chair at any
time for purposes of researching, analyzing, and drafting proposals and
ballots for presentation to the Forum Members for routine matters which do
not rise to the level of a Working Group.