[cabfpub] Fwd: question on 17.9 of baseline

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Tue Jan 21 14:07:38 MST 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Ben Wilson <ben at digicert.com> wrote:

> See question below:

I'm not aware of any technical means by any root program member at this
time. The closest that one can come is Certificate Transparency, although
it's been suggested to not require certificates issued by a technically
constrained sub-CA to be publicly logged.

>    1. What specifically will be checked since the cert is technically
>    constrained ? – ie what are the applicable baseline Requirements that will
>    be tested ( this sould be agreed for consistency)

The Baseline Requirements do not presently establish this, unfortunately.
The 'intent' of permitting technically constrained subordinate CAs was to
absolve such subordinates of many of the auditing requirements found within
the BRs.

My take is that the focus should be on the conformance to the technical
profile - which can be automated - while de-emphasizing focus on some of
the identity-related assertions, since the technical constraints restrict
those.

We would need a BR amendment to clarify these requirements, I believe, as
none of them should _need_ to be required, given the nature of the
technical constraint.

1) subjectAltNames contains only names within the registered domain
namespace of the technically constrained subordinate CA certificate and
conforms with the technical requirements of 9.2.1.

[Note: This intentionally precludes internal server names, for which
technically constrained subCAs should not be permitted, by virtue of both
technical constraints and public trust.

This is also (arguably) a defense against clients that do not support NC,
since NC is not marked critical. However, we may simply to decide to leave
such clients "on their own", with respect to security, and either support
NC or run the risk.]

2) Validity period conformance to 9.4.1 (although not critical, as the
subordinate CA cert should be constrained)

[Note: The validity period constraint on the intermediate should prevent
any long-lived end-entity certs from being valid, except in the case where
a customer performs an intermediate re-issuance that extends the date of
the intermediate, thus allowing EE certs to continue to be valid. Then
again, the only ones harmed is themselves]

3) Conformance to the Cryptographic Algorithm / Key Requirements profile in
Appendix A

[Note: It could be argued that by virtue of technical constraint, it's not
necessary to require this conformance, since at worst, an organization that
fails to comply is only affecting their own security]

4) Conformance to the Certificate Extensions profile in Appendix B

[Note: Again, it could be argued that by virtue of technical constraint,
the only ones they're harming is themselves].