[cabfpub] Definition of an SSL certificate

Moudrick M. Dadashov md at ssc.lt
Fri Jan 3 14:09:17 MST 2014

On 1/3/2014 9:32 PM, Jeremy Rowley wrote:

> Sorry -- I got the discussion a bit off-track. The issue is not
> whether domain names are vetted, but the fact that the BRs do not
> clearly define what certs are covered. There is a significant gray
> area on when certificates are exempt from the BRs.
>
> If requiring the BR/EV OID is not a possibility, I'd define the scope
> as any certificate that either (i) specifies a domain name in the CN
> field or subjectAltName extension and includes the anyEKU or
> serverAuth or omits an EKU or (ii) is intended to enable SSL/TLS, as
> evidenced by inclusion of the serverAuth EKU.

Once again, relying on BR/EV OID would be really good solution.

Jeremy, to my understanding RFC 5280 accepts anyEKU only in combination
with any other EKU but not as the only EKU:

"Certificates using applications MAY require that the extended key usage
extension be present and that a particular purpose be indicated in order
for the certificate to be acceptable to that application.

If a CA includes extended key usages to satisfy such applications, but
does not wish to restrict usages of the key, the CA can include the
special KeyPurposeId anyExtendedKeyUsage ***in addition to the
particular key purposes required by the applications***.

So based on this:
SSL server: = SAN + serverAuth + [anyEKU+EKU]
SSL client:= [SAN] +clientAuth + [anyEKU+EKU]

Thanks,
M.D.