[cabfpub] SHA1 Deprecation Ballot

Ben Wilson ben at digicert.com
Thu Feb 27 17:59:14 MST 2014

Let's say we adopt this as a guideline.  Then, what if we want to fine-tune
it based on Microsoft's July 2015 review of progress made?  How can we amend
the guideline and put that amendment in place before January 1, 2016?
(Let's say that based on Microsoft's review, it appears that Application X
and its users need more time.  Won't a CA that is providing SSL services for
Application X say that six months is not enough time for the CAB Forum to
adopt an exception and for it to change its code and certificate issuance
processes to allow an exception for Application X and its users)?  In other
words, don't we need feedback from Microsoft prior to July 2015 in order to
put an amendment in place?   If we adopt this provision, won't we need to
revisit it in about 12 months?