[cabfpub] CT discussion at CABF

Rick Andrews Rick_Andrews at symantec.com
Thu Feb 20 19:22:50 MST 2014

Ryan,

Here are the suggestions I think I heard about how to reduce the uneasiness that some of us have. I hope others will chime too:

-          Don’t rush into this, because we’re likely to make mistakes if we have to rush. Not just the CAs; there are a lot of moving parts here. I heard someone say “you can’t make fundamental changes to a complex trust system very quickly”.

-          Investigate the potential impact of EU privacy laws up front, because there seemed to be strong concern from the Europeans in the room that the privacy laws may be a problem.

-          Reach out to third-party software vendors. Many CAs use third-party software to generate and sign certificates and OCSP responses, and there is no clear understanding of whether those vendors know about CT and can make the changes available in time for CAs to upgrade.

-          Investigate the potential impact of other EU laws which may require such software to be certified before being put into operation. People seemed worried that because of this, there was no way they could comply in time.

-          Improve communication. I heard that some of the CAs weren’t even aware of where to learn the details of things like precertificates. I don’t think the CT team has been withholding information, far from it, but some of the discussions have taken place on CABF lists, some on “therightkey” and now some will be on the trans list. And some information is at certificatetransparency.org. Perhaps it’s too scattered.

-Rick