[cabfpub] Updated Certificate Transparency + Extended Validation plan

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Wed Feb 5 05:54:38 MST 2014

On 04/02/14 17:33, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
<snip>
> Adding 400 bytes per certificate will make EV certificates unusable by entities concerned with performance.

BTW Jeremy, in seeking to get some perspective on this issue, I notice
that the current EV cert for www.digicert.com has a Certificate Policies
User Notice that takes up 338 bytes!  (2 bytes per character, 'cos for
some reason you use a BMPString).

"Any use of this Certificate constitutes acceptance of the DigiCert
CP/CPS and the Relying Party Agreement which limit liability and are
incorporated herein by reference"

Is it really necessary to include this notice in each cert?

Have any "entities concerned with performance" complained about it?

You could save 169 bytes immediately by simply switching from BMPString
to UTF8String!  ;-)

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist