[cabfpub] Ballot 142 - Elimination of EV Insurance Requirement

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Tue Dec 2 17:58:05 UTC 2014

Rich -- actually, most members post their own ballots when ready -- it's not the job of the Chair or the Vice Chair.  In the past, Ben would oblige for people when they couldn't figure out how to post a ballot, but he was just being accommodating.

And to be blunt, I was disappointed that Mozilla was pushing forward with its proposal to drop the EV insurance requirement by itself, when I  had publicly stated for some weeks that I was working on new financial responsibility requirements for CAs to substitute for the insurance requirements we were planning to remove.  I think it sends a bad message to the public otherwise.  Plus, the insurance requirement is a CA issue, not a browser issue, and I'm having trouble understanding why Mozilla is pushing this so hard.

Having said that, both ballots will result in dropping the insurance requirement, and one ballot will add new financial responsibility requirements so CAs will retain some liability for mis-issued certs, which I assume all browsers including Mozilla will be in favor of to protect their users.  So I suppose both ballots can proceed side by side.

Sure, Dean, if you want to delay both ballots until a discussion on Thursday, I have no objection.