[cabfpub] Ballot 142 - Elimination of EV Insurance Requirement

Eddy Nigg eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Tue Dec 2 17:29:02 MST 2014

On 12/02/2014 07:58 PM, kirk_hall at trendmicro.com wrote:
> And to be blunt, I was disappointed that Mozilla was pushing forward with its proposal to drop the EV insurance requirement by itself

Just for the record, Gerv stated several times that this is exactly what
they'd support and two ballots already failed because of
non-coordination and misunderstandings....

> , when I  had publicly stated for some weeks that I was working on new financial responsibility requirements for CAs to substitute for the insurance requirements we were planning to remove.

...and this might take a while until agreement. I'm not sure if there is
a holy grail for which requirements should be set in place, but we know
for sure that the current ones are simply money thrown out the window.
And a lot for that matter....

>    I think it sends a bad message to the public otherwise.

Probably true, but having requirements in place that don't do anything
is perhaps even a worse message.

I'd suggest (for the next meeting) to adopt Gerv's ballot and then work
on something CAs and browser can agree to.

--
Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO