[cabfpub] Ballot 142 – Elimination of EV Insurance Requirement

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Mon Dec 1 19:15:02 MST 2014

Gerv -- why are you posting a competing Ballot to Ballot 141?  Does that mean you are opposed to Ballot 141?  If so, why?

As I mentioned in my previous response, I think it makes CAs -- and browsers -- look irresponsible to eliminate insurance requirements for CAs without substituting something else to try to establish financial responsibility.  Do you disagree?

All the work (and discussion) Ben Wilson provided in connection with his Ballot 133 on new insurance requirements convinced us CAs need to do something to establish financial responsibility, and as I discussed, I've been working in proposals for CAs to step up on financial responsibility in two ways -- increasing the potential liability for misissued certs (Ballot 141) and creating some sort of minimum capital requirements (ballot to come).  Are you in support of those goals?

I would point out that Trend Micro was the first to suggest the existing insurance requirements did not meet our goal of greater CA financial responsibility and that they be ended.  That ballot failed because of lack of support from the browsers.  I would have like the chance to complete my substitution of new financial responsibility requirements in exchange for dropping the insurance requirements, and I moved as quickly as I could.  I can't understand the rush.

Would you consider withdrawing your Ballot 142 now, and only reposting if Ballot 141 fails?  That would be much appreciated.