[cabfpub] Ballot 131 - Update to Verified Method of Communication
ben.wilson at digicert.com
Fri Aug 29 08:32:41 MST 2014
Reminder- comment period ends today and voting starts.
From: Ben Wilson<mailto:ben.wilson at digicert.com>
Sent: 8/26/2014 12:57 PM
To: Jeremy Rowley<mailto:jeremy.rowley at digicert.com>; 'public at cabforum.org'<mailto:public at cabforum.org>
Subject: Re: [cabfpub] Ballot 131 - Update to Verified Method of Communication
Attached is the redlined version of the EV Guidelines for this Ballot 131.
A few things to mention:
1. The redlining program that I used to create the attached version did not mark the automatic renumbering of paragraphs 11.5 through 11.6 as having changed, but they have automatically renumbered to 11.6 to 11.14.
2. Item 3 in the ballot should have said “3. In Section 11.1.1, renumber …” (there was an extra “1” in the reference to “Section 11.11.1”.)
3. Item 8 in the ballot should have said “8. REPLACE newly renumbered subsection 11.14.3(1)(C) with ‘The Verified Method of Communication required by Section 11.5 but still MUST perform the verification required by Section 11.5.2(B);’”
If you see anything else, please advise me or the proponents. Thanks.
From: public-bounces at cabforum.org [mailto:public-bounces at cabforum.org] On Behalf Of Jeremy Rowley
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2014 10:51 AM
To: 'public at cabforum.org'
Subject: [cabfpub] Ballot 131 - Update to Verified Method of Communication
The following is a revised ballot for verifying a method of communication from the EV working group. The changes in this ballot incorporate the comments provide during the face-to-face and on the mailing list.
Ballot 131 - Update to Verified Method of Communication
The EV Guidelines Working Group has revisited Section 11.4 of the EV Guidelines (Applicant’s Physical Existence) and has decided that it is best to split it into two separate sections. Section 11.4.1 would remain as is for "Address of Applicant’s Place of Business." Section 11.4.2 would be moved to its own section--a new 11.5, and all subsequent section numbers in 11 would be renumbered accordingly. The new Section 11.5 will focus on a verified means for communicating with the organization to be named as the subject in the certificate (to verify the authority of EV roles and ensure that it was appropriately aware of the certificate request).
Cecilia Kam of Symantec made the following motion, and Rich Smith from Comodo and Jeremy Rowley from DigiCert have endorsed it.
In the Guidelines for the Issuance and Management of Extended Validation Certificates:
1. DELETE Section 11.4.2 (Telephone Number for Applicant's Place of Business)
2. INSERT a new definition - "Verified Method of Communication" - in Section 4 as follows:
Verified Method of Communication: The use of a telephone number, a fax number, an email address, or a postal delivery address, confirmed by the CA in accordance with Section 11.5 of the Guidelines as a reliable way of communicating with the Applicant.
3. In Section 11.11.1, renumber the existing subsection (3) as subsection (4) and INSERT a new subsection (3) as follows:
"(3) Verify a reliable means of communication with the entity to be named as the Subject in the Certificate;"
4. RENUMBER sections 11.5 through 11.13 by increasing them each by .1 and UPDATE all cross-references in the EV Guidelines.
5. INSERT a new Section 11.5 titled, "Verified Method of Communication" as follows:
11.5 Verified Method of Communication
11.5.1 Verification Requirements
To assist in communicating with the Applicant and confirming that the Applicant is aware of and approves issuance, the CA MUST verify a telephone number, fax number, email address, or postal delivery address as a Verified Method of Communication with the Applicant.
11.5.2 Acceptable Methods of Verification
To verify a Verified Method of Communication with the Applicant, the CA MUST:
(A) Verify that the Verified Method of Communication belongs to the Applicant, or a Parent/Subsidiary or Affiliate of the Applicant, by matching it with one of the Applicant’s Parent/Subsidiary or Affiliate’s Places of Business in: (i) records provided by the applicable phone company; (ii) a QGIS, QTIS, or QIIS; or (iii) a Verified Legal Opinion or Verified Accountant Letter; and
(B) Confirm the Verified Method of Communication by using it to obtain an affirmative response sufficient to enable a reasonable person to conclude that the Applicant, or a Parent/Subsidiary or Affiliate of Applicant, can be contacted reliably by using the Verified Method of Communication.
6. Amend newly renumbered subsection 11.11.4(1)(A)(i) as follows: "A position within the Applicant’s organization that qualifies as a Confirming Person (e.g., Secretary, President, CEO, CFO, COO, CIO, CSO, Director, etc.) and is identified by name and title in a current QGIS, QIIS, QTIS, Verified Legal Opinion, Verified Accountant Letter, or by contacting the Applicant’s using a Verified Method of Communication; or"
7. REPLACE newly renumbered subsection 11.14.1(1) (D) with "(D) Verified Method of Communication – thirteen months "
8. REPLACE newly renumbered subsection 11.14.3(1)(C) with "The Verified Method of Communication required by Section 11.4.2 but still MUST perform the verification required by Section 11.4.2(2)(B);"
9. REPLACE newly renumbered subsection 11.8.2(2)(A) with "The Verified Method of Communication"
10. REPLACE newly renumbered subsection 11.9.2(1) with "The Verified Method of Communication"
11. REPLACE newly renumbered subsection 11.10.2 (1) with "The Verified Method of Communication"
The review period for this ballot shall commence at 2200 UTC on Friday, 22 August 2014, and will close at 2200 UTC on Friday, 29 August 2014. Unless the motion is withdrawn during the review period, the voting period will start immediately thereafter and will close at 2200 UTC on Friday, 5 September 2014. Votes must be cast by posting an on-list reply to this thread.
A vote in favor of the motion must indicate a clear 'yes' in the response. A vote against must indicate a clear 'no' in the response. A vote to abstain must indicate a clear 'abstain' in the response. Unclear responses will not be counted. The latest vote received from any representative of a voting member before the close of the voting period will be counted. Voting members are listed here: https://cabforum.org/members/
In order for the motion to be adopted, two thirds or more of the votes cast by members in the CA category and greater than 50% of the votes cast by members in the browser category must be in favor. Also, at least seven members must participate in the ballot, either by voting in favor, voting against, or abstaining.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Public