[cabfpub] Intent to Deprecate: SHA-1 certificates

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Thu Aug 28 22:08:58 MST 2014

Chris – a serious question.  Is it true that  google.com<http://google.com/> is still using SHA-1 in both end-entity and intermediate certificates today (as has been posted to this site)?  If so, how can Google be so condemning of ordinary websites that are also using SHA-1 certs today, even though there has been discussion of SHA-1’s potential weakness, as you say, for several years?

So many of the postings on this topics have shown a strong antipathy toward CAs – toward ALL CAs, without making any distinctions.  Google is painting everyone with the same brush.  How can we turn this around, and create a more collaborative environment among browsers, browser users, CAs, website owners?

Google’s current policy will be creating a kind of chaos for many website owners in the next few weeks who have no idea why this is happening.  It will be affecting websites that have already started transition plans to SHA-256 certs before 2017.  Isn’t there a better way?