[cabfpub] Request for six month delay on new Google SHA-1 deprecation policy

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Thu Aug 28 16:45:46 MST 2014

[Reposting from Google SHA-1 list]

-----Original Message-----
From: Kirk Hall (RD-US)
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:45 PM
To: 'Chris Palmer'
Cc: rsleevi at chromium.org; security-dev; blink-dev; steve.medin at gmail.com; net-dev
Subject: RE: Intent to Deprecate: SHA-1 certificates

But Chris -- you are using a blunderbuss when you could use a high accuracy rifle (or better).

This policy is making compliant companies like Trend Micro contact all their customers now and make them replace all their SHA-1 certs (certs that all expire in 2014, 2015, and 2016) now -- when there is no need for that.  Some customers have thousands of certs from many dozens of domains -- domestic and international.  Why do we and our customers have to do this?

A six-month delay would still effectively eliminate all SHA-1 certs by the end of 2015 -- the same as Google's current deadline -- so you reach the same result.  So why not give website owners and CAs some extra time to respond to this surprise policy?  And get them past the holiday retail season website lockdown?