[cabfpub] BR Rekey Rules

Rich Smith richard.smith at comodo.com
Thu Apr 17 14:51:53 UTC 2014

Gerv,
I'm not unsympathetic to your points, but I agree with Wayne and Kirk on
this.  But I think anything we do here should be crafted as a temporary, and
hopefully quickly passed measure specifically crafted to address Heartbleed
and not to be carried out in perpetuity.  We can discuss and debate any
longer term measures on a future ballot.

I propose the following:
Be it resolved by the Forum, for the specific purpose of supplying existing
subscribers with a re-key of any certificate which may have been compromised
by the OpenSSL Heartbleed bug, the issuing CA MAY supply the subscriber with
a re-key of their existing certificate, not to exceed the original
expiration date, OR current max validity period specified by the Baseline
Requirements (BRs), whichever is less, without re-verification of
organizational details, BR organizational document aging and verification
requirements notwithstanding. The CA MUST still adhere to current BR domain
verification requirements.

If we can generally agree on the above, I think we should try get this
through as an emergency measure, accelerating the standard ballot review and
voting timeframes, but I don't know that we have a mechanism in place w/in
the bylaws for doing so.

-Rich