[cabfpub] Ballot 122 - Verified Method of Communication

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Wed Apr 16 13:22:19 UTC 2014

On 16/04/14 13:16, Doug Beattie wrote:
> In order to future proof this, could we consider modifying the
> definition of “Verified Method of Communication” and add a new
> definition “Source of Authority” to support other methods of
> communications, provided they are specified in an authorized source?
> This would allow the use of social media (Twitter, Skype, Facebook,
> etc.) provided those communications methods and IDs were registered the
> same way phone numbers and email addresses are today.  I believe this is
> consistent with the stated goal to move away from a landline-centric focus.

I think we need to be careful about what we declare as equivalent, and
so I'm wary of a mechanism to define additional things as equivalent
without the explicit consent of the Forum. Services have a wide variety
of policies regarding identifier registration, reuse, how hard it is to
steal one, and so on.