[cabfpub] Ballot 111 - Accelerate Max Certificate Lifetime Reduction Timetable

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Thu Nov 28 20:53:12 UTC 2013

To further pile-on, Gerv...

Trend Micro only issues one- and two-year certs (no 60-month product offerings), so we have no dog in this fight, but here's our concern with Ballot 111:

1. When we approved the BRs in July 2012, we selected the phase-out date of 1 April 2015 for most 60 month certs.  That seemed adequate from an internet security standpoint.  Has anything changed from a security standpoint in the last 17 months that indicates we should shorten the phase out date by one year?  Not that I'm aware of.

2.  It is entirely possible that presently-unknown difficulties (perhaps SHA2 will break the Foo Algorithm) will push back Microsoft's end-date for SHA1 from January 1, 2017 to a later date.  (This kind of thing has happened before.)  That would mean there was no real purpose in aligning the date for phase out of 60 month certs with the <current> phase out date for SHA1.

Are there any known security breaches from past-issued 60 month certs (such as someone stealing the private key plus using the cert beyond a 39 month expiration period, someone selling an old server that had a private key plus 60-month cert on it, change of corporate identity during a five-year period that rendered a properly-issued 60-month cert inaccurate, but the cert was still used, etc.)?  Or is the concern more theoretical?