[cabfpub] CAA "issue" addresses wildcard issuance ? (was: CAA records on opera.com)

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Mon Nov 25 23:21:13 UTC 2013

Section 5.2 says nothing about wildcards and non-wildcards.  It talks
about the issuance of certificates.

In the first sentence of section 5.3, "same syntax and
semantics...except...only" can't make sense if issue properties never
apply to wildcards.  To me, that clearly states that issuewild is a
subset of issue, not a separate set.

Section 5.3 also says...
      "If at least one issuewild property is specified in the relevant
       CAA record set, all issue properties MUST be ignored when
       processing a request for a domain that is a wildcard domain."
...which implies, surely, that if zero issuewild properties are
specified, then all issue properties should _not_ be ignored when
processing a request for a domain that is a wildcard domain.
(If it were the case that issue properties were never applicable to
wildcard domains, then that entire sentence would be completely redundant).

But perhaps it would've been useful if Section 5.2 had explicitly said
something like:
   "The issue property always applies to non-wildcard domains.  Also,
except where noted in Section 5.3, the issue property also applies to
wildcard domains".

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist

COMODO CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
   3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
   Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender by replying to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to
this email may be monitored by COMODO for operational or business
reasons. Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free
from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is
requested to use their own virus checking software.