[cabfpub] Ballot 89 Again (Publish Recommendations for the Processing of EV SSL Certificates v.2)

Rick Andrews Rick_Andrews at symantec.com
Fri Nov 22 00:15:58 UTC 2013

I should have addressed this in my previous email.

You're right, "must" requires more work than a "should", and many months ago I changed this doc title from "Guidelines" to "Recommendations". I realize that can lead to confusion. What does it mean if we say we "recommend" that you "must" do something?

If I change everything to "should"s, it would be much more likely to pass, but I'm concerned that it will barely raise the security bar, if it raises it at all. At this point, the only "must"s in the doc are points for which I feel a) no user agent violates today, and b) would be dangerous for a user agent to ignore. For example, if the user agent has up-to-date knowledge that a cert has been revoked but still decides to show the EV treatment.

-Rick