[cabfpub] Upcoming changes to Google Chrome's certificate handling

Rick Andrews Rick_Andrews at symantec.com
Mon Nov 11 19:29:28 UTC 2013

Could some of these concerns be addressed by a reworking of the roles in CT?

It seems to me that the entity with the most concern about mis-issuance and the trustworthiness of the logs is the domain/web site owner. Each domain/web site owner could run their own log, instead of the logs being global in nature and potentially open to government or other tampering. That greatly minimizes the size of the log and the performance requirements for it. Plus it keeps the log private to the domain owner. No one else can obtain a list of all certs issued for the domain. The domain owner becomes the monitor for its domain; no external monitor is needed. I would imagine that it could be deployed as a web server with minimal networking and memory needs.

It also allows CT to be deployed only by those customers who saw the value in it. They would have to signal the requirement, probably by some record in their DNS zone file, that would give a pointer to their log server.

A CA wishing to issue a cert for that domain would check DNS, see that the domain owner required CT, and send the pre-certificate to that log server. Only one SCT is needed, because presumably the domain owner trusts its own log and it's highly unlikely that the log would become untrusted.

The browsers would still have to be the policemen. When visiting a site, they'd have to check DNS to see if the customer required CT, and if so, they would expect to find an SCT in the certificate. The log's public key would also have to be in DNS, so that the browser could verify the signature on it. Obviously this requires DNSSEC and I imagine some people will think that's enough to kill the idea, but I don't.

The main idea is that if a domain owner wants to use CT, it forces each CA that wants to issue a cert for the domain to register the issuance directly with the domain owner. That's more direct than having the CA register with some number of external logs and then relying on someone else to monitor all those logs to find certs issued for a particular domain, and then tell the domain owner which certificates it found.

This needs more thought, but it seems to address many of our concerns about CT.

-Rick