[cabfpub] Urgent: BR Exceptions for Subordinate CA Certificates

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Fri Nov 1 21:00:09 UTC 2013

On 11/01/2013 01:12 PM, From Gervase Markham:

> Quite so. The question here is not "are such practices acceptable when
> new roots are created" - clearly, they are not. The question is: how do
> we deal with this compatibility issue we have with a legacy root with an
> unfortunate name?

I'm sure there are and will be other issues that are unfortunate I guess
- key sizes, hashes, EKUs, CRLs, OCSP and much more...now where to draw
the line?

> You can argue, if you like, that roots issued before the BRs were
> thought of and so which don't meet them should be immediately abandoned,
> and nothing should ever be done to enable them to continue to function
> for one second more, but normally the CABF has a less drastic approach
> to backwards compatibility than that.

In this case it's not a root (of Verizon) but an intermediate CA to
them. I agree that there is some pragmatism as work and the forum, on
the other hand this isn't all new to them either and has been on the map
for a while (for both BIT and for Verizon). It's certainly a headache to
them, but I have a problem with the browser showing "*admin*" as the
issuing authority (not stating the various reasons now).

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
XMPP: 	startcom at startcom.org <xmpp:startcom at startcom.org>