[cabfpub] SHA-1 changes and certificate lifetimes

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Tue Nov 19 07:38:07 MST 2013

On 16/11/13 10:48, Steve Roylance wrote:
> Mac OSX 1.5 was the first version to support SHA256, but what is the %age
> of previous versions still in use?  1%, 0.1%, 0.01% etc   In fact do you
> have something similar to this on Android adoption that all CAs can use to
> assure their subscribers that relying party issues will be minor?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

SHA-256 support was first added to NSS version 3.8, which was released
on 10th April 2003[0]. The map of NSS version to Firefox versions[1]
doesn't even go back that far. However, looking at the Firefox release
history on Wikipedia[2], I'd guess that probably Firebird 0.7, released
in October of 2003, may have been the first to have that NSS version.
Anything called Firefox will support SHA-256.

Hope that helps,

Gerv

[0] http://www-archive.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/nss/
[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/NSS:Versions