[cabfpub] SHA-1 changes and certificate lifetimes

Steve Roylance steve.roylance at globalsign.com
Sat Nov 16 03:48:50 MST 2013

Hi Geoff (all)

This mail is sent to Geoff in part response to this thread, but actually
goes to all the Browsers, especially Tom following the SHA2 announcement
from Microsoft.

As you¹ve all seen, the SSL Product Management team in GlobalSign
(Katsuo-san) do back the suggestion to move to 3 year certificates (39
months to be precise so Rob¹s happy) and we¹d love to be able to push
people to SHA256 by default, however, we also understand for initial
discussions with key customers that they are also hesitant to change due
to the lack of information on which browser versions (and operating
systems, both desktop and mobile) actually support SHA256.

We know that we¹ll have problems in Japan (As Inaba-san highlighted in the
last CABForum F2F session) and we know from studies that there will be
problems in places like India and China that still favour older operating
systems and less advanced technology, however, it would be great that the
industry had a common message for SHA256 support.

So as an example question for Geoff, but hoping the others will chime in.

Mac OSX 1.5 was the first version to support SHA256, but what is the %age
of previous versions still in use?  1%, 0.1%, 0.01% etc   In fact do you
have something similar to this on Android adoption that all CAs can use to
assure their subscribers that relying party issues will be minor?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

Thanks for anything you can do to assist our marketing teams.

Kind Regards

Steve Roylance
Business Development Director

P.S. Bruce¹s page is a good start but having the ability to back this up
with %ages and official figures would be wonderful.
http://www.entrust.com/should-you-use-sha-2/