[cabfpub] SHA-1 changes and certificate lifetimes

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Wed Nov 13 03:53:52 MST 2013

On 13/11/13 10:26, Gervase Markham wrote:
<snip>
> 2) Do we say 36 months, or 39? I cannot remember what the arguments are
> for 39 months over 36, so perhaps those who made them would care to
> review them for us. I think "3 years" is easy to understand, and fits
> with the MS dates well, given that we are now in mid-November.

When a customer renews an SSL certificate, it's common practice to set
the "notBefore" date of the new cert to today, and the "notAfter" date
to precisely N years after the old cert expires.  So if a customer
renews a 3yr cert 3 months before expiry, the new cert will be valid for
39 months.

Reducing the maximum validity period to 36 months would mean that the
validity periods of the old 3yr cert and new 3yr cert cannot overlap.
Or, if they do overlap, the customer would have to accept that they're
paying for some number of days twice.  Or, the CA would have to issue a
27month cert now; then, 27 months later, issue a 9month cert.  Or, the
CA could scrap their 3yr cert product and sell a 33month cert product
instead.

Basically, a maximum of 39 months makes renewing 3yr certs practical.

> 3) I am curious as to whether any CAs are actually needing to take
> advantage of the "continuing issuance exception" in the latter part of
> section 9.4.1. It requires a system that "fails to operate if the
> Validity Period is shorter than 60 months". My gut tells me that there
> must be very few systems like that indeed. Does anyone have information
> to report on this question?

And if there are any such legacy systems, do they also fail to operate
if the signature hash algorithm is not SHA-1 (or MD5 or MD2) ?

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist