[cabfpub] Upcoming changes to Google Chrome's certificate handling

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Fri Nov 8 16:05:58 MST 2013

On 08/11/13 15:20, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
> Right now, Google trusts Google's pilot log, although that trust is not
> deployed in the widely distributed version of the browser. Still, someone
> has to move the ball forward and start logging their certs. We keep running
> into the chicken and the egg problem in this industry, and I'd like to break
> that cycle. Hopefully, our early adoption will inspire others to do
> likewise,

Personally, I hope so too.

> and help Google decide to require logging for all certificates at
> the outset, instead of just EV.
>
> I realize Google's plan is to turn on CT for all certificates, but I oppose
> using EV as a testbed for projects.  The practice of using EV as a testbed
> for improvements will damage EV's reputation and make it less desirable to
> customers.  No one wants to use test certs on their live servers.

I understand what you're saying, but I think that if something goes
seriously wrong during the "testbed" phase, I'd rather the outcome was
the loss of the green bar rather than all Chrome clients rejecting all
SSL/TLS connections!

> Although Google may not trust it's pilot log later, we hope it will trust
> the DigiCert log at that time.  Since the DigiCert log will contain the same
> DigiCert certs as sent to the Google log, there won't be a lapse in CT
> coverage.  I consider Google's future removal of its pilot log as a test
> case of what happens when a log is compromised.

Is the DigiCert CT Log publicly accessible?  If so, what's the URL?

Thanks.

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist
COMODO - Creating Trust Online
Office Tel: +44.(0)1274.730505
Office Fax: +44.(0)1274.730909
www.comodo.com

COMODO CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
   3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
   Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender by replying to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to
this email may be monitored by COMODO for operational or business
reasons. Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free
from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is
requested to use their own virus checking software.