[cabfpub] Ballot 103 - OCSP Staping and AIA (DRAFT)

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Tue May 28 18:12:18 UTC 2013

Ben, can you please explain what the changes are that you propose and
perhaps a diff from the current guidelines. It's not clear what exactly
is proposed and how it would affect us.

On 05/28/2013 08:14 PM, From Ben Wilson:

> I am looking for two endorsers of Ballot 103 OCSP Stapling and AIA,
> which I’ve revised below.  I’m flexible on subparagraph (5), and I’ve
> sent a note to the TLS WG to solicit comments on it.
>
>  Ben Wilson of DigiCert made the following motion, and ____ from
> _____  and ______ from ______ endorsed it:
>
>  ---Motion Begins ---
>
> EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, in order clarify the use case for stapling in
> section 13.2.1 and to modify the OCSP URI requirement in the
> authorityInformationaccess of Appendix B of the Baseline Requirements
> for the Issuance and Management of Publicly-Trusted Certificates, we
> propose the following amendments:
>
>  ---List of amendments begins---
>
> (1)  In Section 13.2.1 “Mechanisms” DELETE the first clause in the
> second paragraph "If the Subscriber Certificate is for a high-traffic
> FQDN so that as amended the section reads as follows:
>
>  "13.2.1  Mechanisms
>
>  The CA SHALL make revocation information for Subordinate Certificates
> and Subscriber Certificates available in accordance with Appendix B.
>
> The CA MAY rely on stapling, in accordance with [RFC4366], to
> distribute its OCSP responses.  In this case, the CA SHALL ensure that
> the Subscriber “staples” the OCSP response for the Certificate in its
> TLS handshake.  The CA SHALL enforce this requirement on the
> Subscriber either contractually, through the Subscriber or Terms of
> Use Agreement, or by technical review measures implement by the CA."
>
>  (2)  In Appendix B "2. Subordinate CA Certificate" remove point C
> (authorityInformationAccess) and insert:
>
>  C.  authorityInformationAccess
>
> This extension MUST be present.  It MUST NOT be marked critical, and
> it MUST contain the HTTP URL of the Issuing CA’s OCSP responder
> (accessMethod = 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.48.1).
>
> See Section 13.2.1 for details about OCSP stapling requirements.
>
> Certificates that are not issued by a Root CA SHOULD contain an AIA
> with the HTTP URL where a copy of the Issuing CA’s certificate
> (accessMethod = 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.48.2) can be downloaded from a 24x7
> online repository.
>
>  (3)  In Appendix B "3. Subscriber Certificate" remove point C
> (authorityInformationAccess) and insert:
>
>                 C. authorityInformationAccess
>
> This extension MUST be present.  It MUST NOT be marked critical, and
> it MUST contain the HTTP URL of the Issuing CA’s OCSP responder
> (accessMethod = 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.48.1).
>
> Subscriber Certificates SHOULD contain an AIA with the HTTP URL where
> a copy of the Issuing CA’s certificate (accessMethod =
> 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.48.2) can be downloaded from a 24x7 online repository.
>
> (4)  In Appendix B "3. Subscriber Certificate" remove point D
> (basicConstraints) and insert:
>
> D.  basicConstraints (optional)
>
> If present, this field MUST be marked critical and the cA field MUST
> be set to false.
>
> [Optional part of motion:  (5)  In Appendix B "3. Subscriber
> Certificate" after point F insert a new point G (TLS Feature
> [...]

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
XMPP: 	startcom at startcom.org <xmpp:startcom at startcom.org>