[cabfpub] Proposed motion to modify EV domain verification section

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Fri May 3 21:58:13 UTC 2013

Rich, you make some good points -- but I have a concern about eliminating the requirement that a domain owner be listed in WhoIs to get an EV upgrade (or Attestation Letters, etc.).  It's true that WhoIs info is self-reported -- but presumably only one company can list itself as Registrant in WhoIs, so it means something.  If the Registrant in WhoIs does NOT match the Organization name at the EV level -- doesn't that raise a concern (even if the Organization can respond to an email sent to admin at domain.com)?  It kind of implies that the Organization being vetted to the EV level does NOT own the domain (or they would have listed their name there...).

I'd like to think this one through a bit more.  What would be the justification at the EV level of NOT looking at the WhoIs Registrant name to see what it says?  (What if the registrant for example.com is Johnny's ISP Co., and admin at example.com is going to Johnny's ISP and Johnny responds, and there is never contact with Example, Inc. -- has the domain been validated to the EV level?)