[cabfpub] OCSP Stapling and Short-Lived Certificates Proposal

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Tue Mar 26 08:42:10 MST 2013

"the CA SHALL ensure that the Subscriber staples the OCSP response"

I can imagine that some CAs will want to proactively help Subscribers to
configure stapling, but I don't see why this needs to be a "SHALL".

On 26/03/13 13:34, Ben Wilson wrote:
> Without prematurely cutting off debate, what if the short-lived language
> were to be removed from subsection (3)(C) of appendix B in the proposed
> amendment?  Would we then have consensus on at least the following temporary
> fixes for OCSP stapling in the Baseline Requirements?  Let's not make the
> "perfect" the enemy of the "good," and let's at least lay some groundwork
> for future developments in this area.
>
> To recap, the second paragraph of section 13.2.1 of the Baseline
> Requirements would be amended to read,
>
> "A CA MAY rely on stapling, in accordance with [RFC4366], to distribute its
> OCSP responses.  A CA MAY include the CA / Browser Forum's mustStaple
> certificate extension OID (2.23.140.16.1) in the Certificate.  If the CA
> includes the mustStaple extension in the Certificate, then the CA SHALL
> ensure that the Subscriber staples the OCSP response for the Certificate in
> its TLS handshake.  The CA SHALL enforce this requirement on the Subscriber
> either contractually, through the Subscriber Agreement or Terms of Use, or
> by technical review measures implemented by the CA."
>
> Subsections (2)C. and (3)C. of Appendix B (authorityInformationAccess) would
> be revised by deleting the phrase "With the exception of stapling, which is
> noted below"  and deleting "See Section 13.2.1 for details." and finally
> also deleting "The HTTP URL of the Issuing CA's OCSP responder MAY be
> omitted, provided that the Subscriber 'staples' the OCSP response for the
> Certificate in its TLS handshakes [RFC4366]."
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben

Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist
COMODO - Creating Trust Online
Office Tel: +44.(0)1274.730505
Office Fax: +44.(0)1274.730909
www.comodo.com

COMODO CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
   3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
   Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender by replying to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to
this email may be monitored by COMODO for operational or business
reasons. Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free
from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is
requested to use their own virus checking software.