[cabfpub] OCSP Stapling and Short-Lived Certificates Proposal

Rick Andrews Rick_Andrews at symantec.com
Fri Mar 22 17:59:37 MST 2013

I'm not sure I'm following you, Ryan. Are you saying that short-lived certs don't need an AIA pointer as long as the OCSP response is stapled? I buy that, but what happens when the stapled response has expired or can't be cryptographically validated or doesn't get returned at all? If the client hard-blocks, I buy that too. But I doubt browsers would do that, and I'd prefer that there was a fallback method. That's why I'd like to see AIA extensions even in short lived certs.

My logic was this: I see a 2-year cert that was issued one day ago; the CA must have thought it was valid or it wouldn't have issued it; the CA very likely also issued an OCSP response that says the cert is good for the first 7 days; even without fetching the OCSP response I can conclude that even if I fetched one or got one via stapling, it would say that the cert was valid. Since I already know the answer, I don't have to ask the question.