[cabfpub] Phone verification issues

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Thu Jun 27 14:35:03 MST 2013

On 06/28/2013 12:13 AM, From Jeremy Rowley:

> We could also consider start allowing notaries.  When the EV
> guidelines were originally created, verification of notaries was
> extremely difficult.  However, almost every state now has a public
> repository of notaries along with contact information.  Because notary
> verification reliability has significantly increased over the last
> couple of years, we should consider expanding Verified Letter
> verification of phone numbers to include notarized letters based on
> original documentation.

If you are referring to so-called "Public Notaries" as common in the US
than I guess we'd object. They are not nearly close to the requirements
and liabilities lawyers or Latin notaries are subject to. Nor do I
believe they are really capable to really confirm all the relevant details.

A public notary could perhaps confirm having seen a document (such as an
invoice or other evidence etc.) but not give a legal opinion as a lawyer
can.

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>