[cabfpub] Proposed addition to BRs allowing issuance of <2048

Horne, Rob rob.horne at trustis.com
Fri Jun 14 02:06:14 MST 2013

I've been expecting such a proposal to come out of the recent discussions. Rick's suggested text makes an excellent starting point.

To my mind the issue here is the compliance requirements are too browser centric, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but will continue to throw up problems for non-browser usage of SSL and PKI in general. Using separate roots is one idea but as pointed out currently the number allowed in mainstream root programs is limited. Could turning off trust bits alleviate the problem? Or could there be a way to set criteria according to cert profiles? For example could it be possible to trust a root but limit the actions capable of being enacted using a cert chained to it?

Rob