[cabfpub] Proposed addition to BRs allowing issuance of <2048

Rick Andrews Rick_Andrews at symantec.com
Thu Jun 13 13:57:38 MST 2013

On Jun 13, 2013, at 9:45 PM, "Ryan Sleevi" <sleevi at google.com> wrote:

> I don't view it as the CA/B Forum imposing requirements on non-browser
> clients - merely, we're imposing requirements on browser clients.

I should have said that it's the impression of our non-browser customers. That's what they've told me.

> For
> organizations that kept their PKI separated by purposes - such as
> keeping distinct roots for purposes such as Document Signing, are not
> at all affected by these changes.

True, but my initial point was that it has not been common practice to keep our roots separate. All the CAs I talked to. To reiterate: even where we had separate roots (or the intention to use separate roots) I believe there have been cases where customers found our roots in our website and embedded them without our knowledge.

> Since it's clear that on the Internet, legacy never dies, perhaps it's
> more reasonable to discuss paths going forward.
>
> For example, cutting a 'new' root that will have all certificates
> underneath it comply with the Baseline Requirements, and use that root
> for inclusion in all trust anchor stores going forward. After all, the
> Baseline Requirements are only required by Trust Stores for Roots
> included in their program.

I agree with Rob Stradling that the policies of many trust stores makes this suggestion unworkable. I don't think there's a silver bullet here; we just have to do a better job at trying to pry apart these different usages in the future.

-Rick