[cabfpub] Ballot 108: Clarifying the scope of the baseline requirements

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Jul 29 05:51:51 MST 2013

For what it's worth, there's still a bit of ambiguity with respect to
cross-signing, but I'm not sure ideal language to propose to address
this.

My modified language said "any subordinate CA certificates signed by
one of these root certificates" - but if multiple versions of a
subject/public key combination exist (cross-signing, special purpose
certs/roots from the same key), a 'creative' party might try to argue
it's out of scope of the BRs - even though the expectation is very
much that it (and the associate private key) are in scope.

If anyone has any suggested wording improvements there, I'm sure it
could really make this point clear. We've certainly seen questions
regarding this sort of thing arise with the 'non-SSL issuance'
questions, so it would be good to have something unambiguous in the
BRs.