[cabfpub] Proposed change to bylaws: public voting information

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Jan 28 03:21:34 MST 2013

Dear CAB Forum members,

At the moment, according to the Bylaws[0], vote outcomes and aggregate
totals are public, but the actual votes are private. We would like to
update the Bylaws so that individual votes are also public.

Mozilla is interested in determining the level of support for this
change. We proposed it when we first created the motion to have a public
mailing list, but there was less consensus around this topic than the
rest of it, so we dropped it with the intention of bringing it back
later. We believe it is important for transparency that companies are
held accountable for their actions.

This applies to us as much as to anyone else. Recently, Ballot 92 failed
because not enough browsers voted for it. We stand by our decision, but
if some CA wishes to say "We would have had this, but Mozilla, X, Y and
Z opposed it", then they should be able to do that.

Specifically, we would make the following changes which would have this
effect:

* Delete section 5.1 ("Member Mail List and Member Web Site") bullet b)
in its entirety, and reletter the following sections.

* Update section 5.2 ("Public Mail List and Public Web Site") bullet c)
to read:

"Messages formally proposing a Forum ballot (including ballots to
establish, modify, or terminate Working Groups), individual votes, vote
and quorum counts, and messages announcing ballot outcomes and voting
breakdowns."

Gerv

[0] https://www.cabforum.org/Bylaws-v10.pdf