[cabfpub] Proposed change to bylaws: public voting information

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Tue Feb 5 16:34:13 UTC 2013

On 04/02/13 21:02, Ben Wilson wrote:
> Apparently secret ballot started in Australia in the 19th century and then
> caught on elsewhere.  However, up until then, votes were public, and they
> still are in many areas of the world.  The rationale for a secret ballot has
> been the free expression of preference without fear of retribution,
> retaliation, discrimination, or the buying/selling of votes.

At the moment, we get all the disadvantages of both systems.

Because the voting preferences of members are known to other members,
it's possible to have retribution, retaliation, discrimination or the
buying/selling of votes. (Note: I am not suggesting for one moment that
any of the above has occurred!)

But because the voting preferences of members are not (all) known to the
general public, we do not get transparency or full accountability.