[cabfpub] Proposed change to bylaws: public voting information

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Feb 4 20:27:56 MST 2013

On 04/02/13 19:07, y-iida at secom.co.jp wrote:
> What the word "voting" means here is like raising one's hand
> and/or saying aye or nay, rather voting a real anonymous ballot.
> In the voting process of the forum, every member in the forum
> knows what people "vote".  Some people even puts digital signature.

Yes, exactly.

> I wish if I could find another good word for this activity...

I hadn't thought about it before; perhaps it is not obvious that these
two things should have the same name. I suppose they are both
"expressing a preference" - it's just that one is done secretly and the
other is not.

In English, the idea of "voting" most strongly carries the idea of
"expressing a preference" - whether the vote is secret or not is a
secondary characteristic.