[cabfpub] [cabfman] [cabfquest] BR Requirements for 1024-bit Certificates

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Fri Feb 1 14:32:13 MST 2013

On 02/01/2013 10:16 PM, From Ryan Sleevi:
> I would also note that it would seem to favour the incumbent CAs whose
> practices may have been more lax, but more marketable, at the expense
> of newer CAs entering the field and needing to conform to the BRs.

Or those that always had a higher standard and/or policy requirements.

> I realize that, conversely, requiring compliance may come with a cost,
> but I think the whole argument is that the BRs do raise the bar on
> security, and that the cost is justified compared to the risks to
> users and the responsibilities of operating in the public trust.

I think that it should be very clear that NEW (*) certificates must
confirm to the BR, resulting that nobody should get 1K certificates
today anymore (excluding certificates that are valid for a shorter
period than one year).

Of course it would be great if previously issued certificate would be
replaced and also shortened in their lifetime to the maximum allowed
validity period. It seems to me that such effort could be done for most
within the course of almost one year.

(*) Of course it would be easy to issue a certificate today with a
validity period starting before summer 2012, but lets assume nobody does
that.

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>