[cabfpub] Proposed change to bylaws: public voting information

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Feb 1 08:42:25 MST 2013

Hi iida,

On 01/02/13 04:09, y-iida at secom.co.jp wrote:
> Because our company needs to make decision of our vote to favor or not
> favor, I asked that question to explain to my boss the merits and
> demerits of this change.
> Specifically, we are running CAs and we are not a browser vender.
> I could not see apparent merit for CA.  And you are in browser side.
> If you were in CA side, the story was easy since we are sharing same
> merits and demerits.

Thank you for the clarification.

I do not think this is a "browser side or CA side" issue. There are
people on both sides who believe the greater transparency is a good
thing for governance structures in general, and for the CAB Forum in
particular.

If this motion were to pass, no-one could say one thing in public and
yet vote another way in private. If your organization has no wish to do
that, then you should be fine with the proposal :-)

>> Or are you asking me to speculate on why the people who are
>> against it might hold that view?
>
> I'm not sure yes or no, but I think it may help me.

I can't see any good reason to oppose the change, so am unable to say
why other people might want to.

I am hoping that anyone who would vote against such a motion will say
why. It would be a great shame if there was no discussion of the
downsides they saw, but then they voted against anyway.