[cabfpub] CT Precertificates and the BRs

Phillip Hallam-Baker philliph at comodo.com
Fri Dec 20 16:34:24 UTC 2013

If we are having to change policy to accommodate CT then I don't think the choice of using the serial number can be said to be
working so well.

It is pretty easy to identify the record. If a cert is meant to be under CT control then we can require it to contain the record
identifier in the cert. This could default to the serial number of the cert but a hash of the data entered would work just as well.

The CA knows the data to be entered when the cert is created, it is the publication of the logs and the log output that is delayed.

I am not sure what you mean by an intermediate not offering the same controls. If Carol's CA has registered a CT notification for
alice.example that only specifies the issuer name and key, subject name a validity interval and extensions, then the log entry can
be used to validate any certificate issued under that key. But Mallet CA can't issue a certificate because the CT entry is specific
to Carol's signing key.