[cabfpub] [cabfman] Improving the security of EV Certificates

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Thu Dec 19 04:01:20 UTC 2013

Gerv -- on your last point, how would the issuing CA know that an inquiry was coming from its "own customer"?  An inquiry could come from someone pretending to be with a customer, or a member of the public, or someone who is with the customer but not contact we have dealt with.  Today, CAs have to provide a means for anyone in the world to complain about a cert they have encountered.

I think that as a practical matter any CA who gets a CT log inquiry / complaint is going to have to treat it seriously and investigate, whether or not it comes from a known and verified customer contact person.  So the response load on CAs from inquiries / complaints (most of which have no basis) from all sources probably will be significant.