[cabfpub] FW: [cabfman] BR effective date

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Fri Dec 20 15:57:48 UTC 2013

Thanks Erwann - I've moved this to the public mailing list. Replies are
in-line and marked with [JR].

>If a certificate happens to have BasicConstraints:CA=true, then it's a CA
cert, period.
[JR] No dispute here.

>If a certificate has a serverAuth EKU, then it's a TLS server cert. With
compliant content, it's also an EV certificate.
[JR] serverAuth is the easy case, although someone may disagree since
community device certs require this EKU.  The hard case is anyEKU or where
the EKU is omitted.

>If a certificate follows QC profile, then it's a QC certificate.
[JR] But QC does not preclude a server cert.

>If nothing forbids combinations, a certificate could be QC+EV+CA. And of
course subject to subsequent constraints/rules.
[JR] The problem is anyEKU or omitted EKUs.  In that case it could be a
server Cert.  From what I understand, QCs do not contain a domain name in
the CN (they have the name of the individual).  Therefore, they are not BR
compliant, despite the face they can be used for server authentication.