[cabfpub] Definition of an SSL certificate

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Fri Dec 20 13:24:17 MST 2013

Ryan,

I absolutely agree, and this was more or less the conclusion we reached
several months ago.

As I mentioned on our most recent telecon, the BRs SHOULD cover any and all
certificates that are technically capable of being used as SSL/TLS
certificates. Our examination of what that meant to different root stores /
browsers (which, as I understand, has been summarized on the members-only
wiki) basically showed that today, this is a very liberal set.

The other big concern is that the BRs do not just cover end-entity
certificates, but also set forth policies for intermediate certificates as
well. By measuring "BR-applicable" by simply examining the leaf
certificate, we create a hole that may be exploited for security-sensitive
purposes, intentionally or not. It's not merely sufficient to determine
whether a leaf certificate is BR applicable, but also to examine whether an
intermediate certificate is BR-applicable.

This is why I advocate that only Roots whose entire hierarchy is conformant
and audited to the BRs - that is, every leaf and every intermediate issued
from that Root - should be entered into Root Programs. CAs can still have
roots that cross-sign these "BR-only Roots", but it would seem
best/unambiguous for all parties to declare the entire hierarchy from a
given root (potentially cross-signed) and below as being in-scope of the
BRs.