[cabfpub] FW: [cabfman] Improving gTLD control

Ben Wilson ben at digicert.com
Tue Dec 17 15:11:42 MST 2013

Moving discussion to public list

From: management-bounces at cabforum.org [mailto:management-bounces at cabforum.org] On Behalf Of Ryan Sleevi
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:17 PM
To: Steve Roylance
Cc: 'management at cabforum.org' (management at cabforum.org)
Subject: Re: [cabfman] Improving gTLD control

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 1:41 AM, Steve Roylance <steve.roylance at globalsign.com> wrote:

Hi Ben.

As the CA/BForum seems to have some good links with ICANN, is there a possibility you, as chair, could petition them for an API to help us all meet the needs of BR 11.1.4? i.e. highlighting gTLDs that have moved into “contract stage” and also those that have moved into the “under consideration”.

https://data.iana.org/TLD/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt  is a list which claims to have been updated today, but AFAICT (From others who get the gtldnotification at icann.org e-mail) it doesn't have the last 2 months worth of notifications and of course it only covers the contract stage domains.  Indeed look here and you get another result http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/registries-date

Moving forward we all need to ensure we have good control here and the only way I can see that this will work effectively is an API call that we can all regularly make (to a reliable service).  Relying on e-mails is not good practice.  Human errors are possible so I’m hoping we can be proactive here whilst this is all new rather than reactive to an issue.

Steve

I think it makes an excellent addition to the agenda, as Google has also petitioned (unsuccessfully) for additional data not provided by that current file - such as the dates associated with the transitions. As part of our programmatic deprecation of internal server names, we wish to use a more accurate source than the Public Suffix List for this purpose.