[cabfpub] Ballot 111 - Accelerate Max Certificate Lifetime Reduction Timetable

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Tue Dec 10 04:26:54 MST 2013

On 26/11/13 09:52, Ben Wilson wrote:
> *Ballot 111 – Accelerate Max Certificate Lifetime Reduction Timetable*

Dear CAB Forum,

After consideration, Mozilla has decided to withdraw ballot 111.

Having considered the situation as a whole, including the impact of
other requirements we have recently placed on CAs, and having listened
to the representations of CAs, we no longer intend to continue with this
particular ballot. However, we strongly encourage CAs to eliminate such
long-life certs as soon as possible, and not enter into new contracts to
supply them. We (at least) will not be allowing any continued existence
they may have to affect our decision-making or
deadline-setting in the CAB Forum.

We also reserve the right to enforce in code restrictions on length
which relate to SHA-1 certificates and the impending deadlines.
(Bugzilla bug 942515).