[cabfpub] Request for details on CRL Sets

Rick Andrews Rick_Andrews at symantec.com
Mon Aug 26 16:18:25 MST 2013

> When it comes to specific details of how CRLSets are implemented, I
> don't think it's unreasonable to check the source code [1]. Things do
> change and, most of the time, we'll just be checking the source code
> anyway to look at the answer. Unlike the metaphor of the IRS telling
> you read the tax code; you're tax experts in this case.

Adam, to belabor the analogy, I'm probably a tax preparer but not a tax expert. I reiterate my opinion that it's unreasonable to check the source code. You and I can read code, but I believe many participants in the CABF are not programmers and cannot read code.

> However, several of your questions are about the construction of the
> CRLSets, for which the source code isn't public anyway. (It wouldn't
> be that hard to publish much of it, but I haven't done so.)

The rest of your email is very helpful, but it's in an email. It may be difficult to locate later, and it may be impossible for future CABF members to find. Couldn't you just create a 'knowledge base' article somewhere (akin to Microsoft's Knowledge Base, or Mozilla's wiki), and keep it up to date? I don't think that's too much to ask. It could even be on the CABF wiki, although that isn't accessible outside of CABF members.

-Rick