[cabfpub] Underscore Characters in SANs

Wayne Thayer wthayer at godaddy.com
Wed Aug 7 09:44:42 MST 2013

Erwann,

I'm specifically talking about a CNAME record. In researching this, it appears that DKIM specifies underscore characters in CNAMEs, but it may refer to an updated RFC rather than 1035 in doing so.  The DKIM spec has in turn driven major DNS providers to start allowing the underscore character in CNAMEs. I have a few examples of this. So I'm wondering if there's any reason in practice not to issue certificates with SANs containing this character, other than the fact that it's probably not compatible with some browsers that expect a proper host name?

Thanks,

Wayne