[cabfpub] Concerns regarding Mozilla Root Program/Baseline Requirements

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Tue Aug 6 09:42:25 MST 2013

On 08/03/2013 12:28 AM, From kirk_hall at trendmicro.com:
> We also agree.  We were part of all BR discussions, and the effect of rekeying was never discussed.

There is no such a thing, it simply doesn't exist! There is only a
certificate that is either valid, expired or revoked and every time a
certificate is issued it's a NEW certificate. It has a new serial number
and signature hash...and it may have similar properties as another
certificate but it will never be the same certificate. Every time a CA
issues a certificate it's a NEW certificate no matter what.

And in this respect it must always comply to the relevant requirements
and standards. The word "rekeying" is something CAs invented but it
doesn't really exist - there is no certificate like the other and if
there was we'd have far bigger problems now.

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
XMPP: 	startcom at startcom.org <xmpp:startcom at startcom.org>