[cabfpub] ICANN Study

Rick Andrews Rick_Andrews at symantec.com
Tue Aug 6 09:24:38 MST 2013

Thanks, Jeremy.

It seems to me that we might have to rethink the addition we made to the BRs (11.1.4) for new TLDs. ICANN now says "First, registry operators will implement a period of no less than 120 days from the date that a registry agreement is signed before it may activate any names under the TLD in the DNS."

Section 11.1.4 of the BRs says "Within 120 days after the publication of a contract for a new gTLD is published on [www.icann.org], CAs MUST revoke each Certificate containing a Domain Name that includes the new gTLD unless the Subscriber is either the Domain Name Registrant or can demonstrate control over the Domain Name." Will CAs be able to determine if the applicant can demonstrate control over the domain name if the domain name won't be active in DNS for 120 days?

-Rick